The Gottman Institute
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work
April 2023 ONLINE
Based on John Gottman’s New York Times bestseller, this workshop aims to walk couples through each of the seven principles with guided exercises and short lectures. Your presenter, Nicole Locorriere LMFT, is a trained Seven Principles Leader and she would love to help you strengthen your friendship with your spouse.
The Seven Principles Workshop consists of four 3-hour classes over two weekends. The classes are live and virtual so you may learn from the comfort of your own home. This workshop is made up of lectures and private couple exercises. Participants are not required to share any personal details, though there will be time for discussion if desired. Registration includes a copy of the book The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by Dr. John Gottman, two sets of Gottman Card Decks, and two workbooks.
You Will Learn to:
- Improve your friendship, fondness, and admiration
- Enhance romance and intimacy
- Manage conflict constructively
- Gain skills to address both perpetual and solvable problems
- Create shared meaning
- Maintain these skills throughout your lives together
Who Should Attend:
- Pre-engaged couples
- Premarital couples
- Couples ranging in age from newlyweds to seniors
- Those who wish to enhance a good marriage
- Those looking for better conflict management skills
Who Should NOT Attend:
- Couples with severe relationship distress
- Those experiencing physical/emotional abuse
- Those with serious emotional or mental health problems
- Relationships where one or both partners are actively addicted or are exhibiting other compulsive behaviors
Benefits of Participating:
- The class format provides structure, accountability and motivation to continue working through the book and exercises
- It can be encouraging to work on one’s relationship in the context of other couples that are doing the same thing
- Couples will be learning and growing with clearly defined goals, expectations and time frame, which are not always available in traditional couples therapy
- The Seven Principles program is especially helpful for premarital couples, who will gain skills to enrich their relationship through a lifetime together
Frequently Asked Questions:
No! The class does not include sharing problems or personal issues publically. All couple exercises will be done privately via breakout rooms. While there may be time for discussion afterward, there is absolutely no pressure to share.
Since the class involves couples doing exercises together, both partners must participate. However, if a partner has to miss one particular class meeting, the other partner is still encouraged to attend the lecture portion of the class. He or she may use the Couples Exercise time to read the Seven Principles book, and then complete the full exercise with their partner later. Recaps of each meeting will also be sent via email to keep everyone up to date.
Sure thing! While the book provides a lot of valuable information, the class lectures summarize the content and add a great deal more. Each person will need a Couples Guide, however, to do the exercises effectively.
Unless directed otherwise by your Gottman Leader, most of the exercises will be done in class. This is because the leaders will provide instructions, role-plays, and other support to make sure participants get the most out of each one. Still, some exercises will be omitted for time and the structure of the class format, so couples are encouraged to do them at home after that chapter has been covered in class.
For less than the cost of three therapy sessions, you will receive:
- 12 hours of evidence-based educational content
- Live support from Gottman Leader
- 24 exercises to practice with your partner
- A copy of the NY Times Bestseller The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by Dr. John Gottman
- “Love Maps” Gottman Card Deck
- “Open Ended Questions” Gottman Card Deck
- Two Couple Workbooks
- Community support and normalization for each couple’s experiences